On Tuesday, it will have a been 7 years since the incident that shook the sporting world. The video has been replayed thousands of times and yet I still can't comprehend what happened. For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, I am referring to a game between the Colorado Avalanche and the Vancouver Canucks.
This match was already slated to be a heated affair after a previous match between the two teams saw Steve Moore make a hit on Markus Naslund, injuring the Canucks forward. This rematch proved to be everything it was hyped up to be, but worse. Todd Bertuzzi took his terrible version of on-ice justice and ended up ruining a man's life.
I have always been a proponent for on-ice justice, but in the honourable way that hockey players understand. A fair fight, not a sucker punch that has now become infamously called 'Bertuzzied'.
Bertuzzi has carried on with his career, while Moore still suffers day-to-day symptoms from that event. I bring this up now not only because of the anniversary, but because it seems Moore's civil suit against Bertuzzi, Orca Bay (ex-owners of Canucks), and Marc Crawford (coach of Dallas Stars now) is coming closer to a trial date.
This trial could very well shake the NHL to it's knees and become a media hyped circus resembling OJ's trial. There are rumours that Canadian TV stations are seeking to air the trial. Whatever the verdict and length of the trial, you have to imagine Gary Bettman is sitting very uncomfortable these days in his commissioners chair. Not only does he have to worry about the negative publicity from this pending trial, but he has his hands full with the Phoenix Coyotes, Atlanta Thrashers, and concussions.
No comments:
Post a Comment