I wasn't going to say anything on this issue because there is a lot of debate and talk already on this, but I just can't hold back.
The NHL has failed, miserably. Now before I start, I want it to be clear that yes I am a Hab's fan (my dad has always been a die hard fan, he purchased four seats from the Montreal Forum before demolition, and had them shipped to British Columbia), and no I am not a Chara/Bruins hater. I love the rivalry between the two teams and I too will cheer for the Bruins from time to time (especially when they play Toronto) since I am marrying in to a long-time Bruins supporting family. Not too mention, that after working with Tim Thomas, I have even more respect for not only his goaltending ability, but for the person he is (he invited me to his house for a bar-b-q with his family, and we had just met!).
But, back to the NHL and how they failed to deliver precedent on concussions. The league has stated that they want to reduce concussions/hits-to-head yet after Tuesday nights tragic incident, they failed to do anything on that. Yes, Chara is not a dirty player and the scene that unfolded in that game will be debated for generations; intent to injure or tragic accident? Regardless of the intent, Max Pacrioretty lays in a hospital with a severe concussion and a broken vertebra. Chara did commit a interference penalty that resulted in bodily harm. There should be a suspension.
Max is lucky he has full use of his limbs after a play like that, and he will be lucky if he is able to come back and play in the NHL if he does not suffer long-term post-concussion symptoms. The NHL needs to start cracking down on serious incidents like this and protecting players. I love hard hitting hockey and I know that injuries will happen in a game, but when there is a penalty called that results in a injury, there should be a suspension.
And don't even get me started on Trevor Gillies where the NHL also failed.
I hope that Max has a speedy recovery and I love the passion of the Montreal fans who dialed 911 after the NHL's ruling to report a crime on Chara. Although, I don't think tying up the 911 phone lines is a great idea, I know they had the right intent.

No comments:
Post a Comment