Friday, February 18, 2011

Hockey Scene in Croatia

I was searching the net for some hockey games to watch while I am work and I came across this website that shows live EBEL games. The EBEL stands for Erste Bank Eishockey Liga (Erste Bank Ice Hockey League). It is the professional hockey league, and a very good one, that has teams in Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, and yes, Croatia.

KHL Medveščak Zagreb joined the league in 2009 and right away became a hit with the Croatian people. The team has  been around since 1923 but has played in lower level leagues. When Zagreb joined the EBEL, they managed to sign a lot of Canadian players with Croatian roots, there are a lot in Canada, to help increase the on-ice talent. The EBEL is a very competitive league with lots of NHL prospects and ex-NHL players participating in the league. 


Recently Zagreb hosted an event at the Zagreb arena to showcase who passionate it's fans where and they came out in primed form. See the video below:



Zagreb's first season helped increased overall attendance in the league by 15%! That is very impressive for a country not known for its roots in hockey. One has to think that the acceptance of Zagreb into the EBEL, and the enthusiasm from the fans, that hockey has a bright future in Croatia. Hopefully more rinks will be built in Croatia and there will be a strong move to develop the Croatian youth. Who knows, in a few years we could see Croatia in the World Juniors competing against Canada (OK, maybe 20 years away, but still). 



1 comment:

  1. Nice read! For years my favorite team in the EBEL was Red Bull Salzburg but after one of my favorite players signed with Medvescak, I started following them and I have fallen in love with the team. ZIG ZAG MEDVESCAK!

    ReplyDelete