So instead of Tyler and I each having our own blog, we're just going to share this one (since I'm not very good at keeping up with things like this) So far so good here in Ankara, I arrived at last night and I have to say it is the most beautiful city I have ever seen at night. They love green and blue lights here, so from the airplane the whole city was lit up with all different color lights. My trip was pretty smooth, and amazingly in order to get a visa here in Turkey, all you have to do is ask for one at the Visa counter, pay $20 (if you're American, $60 if you're Canadian), and there you go, a visa! I then had an interesting 15 minutes after getting my luggage trying to explain what my hockey sticks look like, since they don't come with the regular baggage. I don't know a word in Turkish, much less the word or hockey sticks, so there was a lot of hand gesturing before one guy said, "ice"? And i knew he finally knew what I was talking about and I got my sticks. Then i tried to drag out my hockey bag, suitcase, cary-on, sticks, and purse, before Tyler was able to come in and help me out.
What Tyler didn't mention in his previous post, for fear of embarassing me, is that the first thing I did upon stepping into our appartment building is fall down a flight of stairs. No worries, I'm fine, but it did look/sound pretty bad considering I was carrying my bag and sticks at the time, so therefore couldn't catch myself until i had fallen down 7 or 8 stairs. I was more amused than embarassed, especially since I sustained no terrible or permanent injuries. But my first full day in Ankara was restful, we got up to go to breakfast then proceeded to sleep for 5 hours until lunch, walked for a couple hours, and got a light dinner. Ankara is wonderful, our neighborhood is very safe, and the people are incredibly nice. If only the hockey falls into place shortly, things will be excellent!
No comments:
Post a Comment