
Ankara, Turkey - Yes, my trip to Turkey has a purpose and that is to play professional hockey. But myself and the swedes are waiting for decisions to be made. The most pressing decision is if the season will be played in Istanbul, which just had a new rink built, or the schedule will be like last year with games played in Ankara and Istanbul. Another decision that needs to made is our practice times. Our team wants prime practice time and lots of practices. These decisions have to be made by the Turkish Ice Hockey Federation and for the past week and a half the Federation says that a decision will be made tomorrow and tomorrow keeps coming with no decision.
This is why we are in our temporary home, living with our head coach. If we do not get the practice and game times we want, the team will move to Istanbul. The problem is that there is a law in Turkey for sports clubs that when they rent living accommodations the club has to pay for the entire year up front. So the club wants to be 100% sure of the schedule and practice times before a decision is made. This is a little frustrating but when I signed the contract I understood that I would have to leave all expectations in North America and travel with an open mind. This has been very helpful as I am discovering what patience means. It is hard though because the swedes have been here for almost four weeks and their patience is empty.
Hopefully by Monday, a final decision will be made. Another private club (most hockey teams are government run and funded here) has said that if something isn't resolved soon that myself and the other import players can practice with their club so we can get some ice time.
As soon as I hear something, I will let everyone know. Until that time, I am going to enjoy all that Ankara has to offer; and this city is beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment