Stowe, Vermont - Within the last month the airline industry has decided to start charging for a second bag. Since I booked my flight before the September 30th deadline for United Airlines, I will not incur that charge. However, I am flying with goalie gear and I am expecting the airline to find a way to charge me a ridiculous amount of money despite quoting me on the phone that they are only concerned about weight (must be under 50 lbs).
Another interesting fact with United Airlines is that when travelling with hockey equipment you are allowed to bring two sticks and not be charged extra. But, lets be honest, what hockey player travels with only two sticks? Especially when flying to Europe or Turkey where sticks prices are far more expensive to purchase. My team, Anka, covers some of my stick expenses luckily but they have asked me to purchase my sticks here and bring them with me. Good for them to save money, but I have to pay for some of the shipment fees.
Now the big question, bring them on the flight with me or UPS them over? Well, interesting fact, it would cost me $500 USD to UPS six sticks to Turkey. The extra luggage fee for my sticks will be around $150 USD. So for now and up to Sept.30 the airline industry has been my friend. Lucky for me my team covers my return flight fees.
Hey, if you are short on sticks, we have plenty here in storage with your name on them, ha! Man, the airlines have made some money off you over the years with your extra baggage costs! Hope your team reimburses you for these expenses. Best of luck, Tyler!! Mom
ReplyDelete