Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fenerbahce Game in Istanbul

Istanbul, Turkey - Went to Istanbul this weekend to catch a Fenerbahce football match. The top league here in Turkey is called the Turkcell Super Lig (Turkcell is a cellphone company) and most of the country either supports 1 of 4 clubs; Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, Besikitas JK, or Trabzonspor. One of the reasons for the support of only 4 clubs when there are 14 in the league is because those are the only clubs to have ever won the league championship. Every year the championship belongs to one of these clubs primarily because they are the wealthiest.

My friend, Efe, has season tickets to Fenerbahce through his work and invited to catch my first top flight football match. It was amazing. The atmosphere was unforgettable, despite the horrible wind chill, I savoured every moment at the game.


Fenerbahce won the game 1-0 over Antalyaspor and I have to say that I am hooked on football now.
Fener travels to Ankara this weekend to play one of the local clubs, Genclerbiligi. Brittany and I will be supporting Gencler this weekend has I have connected with two ex-pats (a Scot and a Aussie) who live in Ankara with their families and each support one of the local clubs (Ankaragucu being the other club). Together they run a blog about football in Ankara called "The Round Ball in Ankara". I recommend checking it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment