Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hit by a car, twice

Dartmouth, NS - Sunday evening I was relaxing after just working a shift at Sports Direct Inc. I was enjoying season 2 of Mad Men on Netflix when I heard tireds squeel and a loud thud outside the apartment.

Flying off the couch, I slip into my shoes and threw on a jacket so efficiently that Clark Kent would be impressed. Outside my apartment are two cars stopped in the road with a man laying in front of them. Two people were already surrounding the man and assisting him up to the side of the road.

I ask if someone has called 911 and they say yes, and one of them identifies themselves has a first aid person. So I simply stand back and watch the scene unfold as they start to asses the mans condition.

I notice his bike on the side of the road, twisted and wrecked. He is moaning in pain and says that his leg is hurting and I can tell there is a deformity, possibly a broken leg. Blood is also noticeable on his jeans. The lady assesing him asks if his head is ok and he is shock that he can't respond. The lady lifts up his black touque (not wearing a helmet!) to reveal a rosy red bump the size of a small fist protruding from his head.

Immediately seeing this my eyes gravitate to one of the cars and notice that the windshield is smashed with a head size shape in the middle of it. Ouch is my first thought.

After observing the cars in the street I put together the accident as this; the man was riding his bike while crossing the street (while wearing black and no helmet) with no concern for the traffic. A lady hit him first causing him to roll up on the hood of the car where his head smashed into the windshield. Upon falling off the car on to the opposite lane another car clipped him slightly as they came to a halt.

Fire trucks, ambulance, and police showed up within 1 minute of the call being made and quickly took over the scene. The lady that initially hit him was very shaken and visibly distressed, but kept repeating that 'he came out of nowhere.'

I went back into my house when the ambulance arrived and the man was speaking a little, but not making a lot of sense.

If there is any reason for bike helmets I would have to say that his is prime example.

Just another day in Darmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment