Sunday, January 24, 2010

Snow Storm in Istanbul and Another Win

Istanbul, Turkey - What a road trip! First the bus we took was a 22 seat mini-bus that didn't have enough room to store our bags on the bottom so half of the bags were thrown inside the bus. Second, I managed to pick the seat with the heater located at it; and just so you know the Turks hate being cold. Third, we travelled to Istanbul which was in the middle of being hit by the worst winter storm it has seen in almost 100 years. The weather was so bad that EVERY sporting event in Istanbul was cancelled this weekend, EXCEPT hockey matches. A 4-5 hour trip quickly turned into 6.5 hour trip which doesn't sound too bad, but when you are travelling with the clubs board members who can't go for 30 minutes without smoking it can get annoying. Oh, and the board members smoke on the bus! After one hour I finally got up told the president that if he smokes on the bus one more time that I am not playing in today's game. That got the message across since I was the only goalie they had for the game.

After being stuck in traffic trying to cross the Bosphorus Brindge for an hour, we entered Europe and found our little Kofte place for our pre-game meal. Kebap and rice, with some tea.

Back on the bus and off to the newly opened arena which is located right behind the Walls of Constantinople, which still stand today and surround the old city of Constantinople. The new arena is just what you would expect in a rink; good ice, good boards, clean dressing rooms, and nice seating. I was so impressed that I would be happy playing every game in this rink for the rest of the season. Just the thought of having to practice in Ankara again makes me feel sorry for my goalie pads, who are being worn down so fast that one would think I have been using this gear for 10 years.

The game was very close one, with the score finally opening up in the second half of the third period. 2-2 after the first, 5-4 for us after the second, and final score was 11-5 for us. We were actually down 4-2 early in the second, but battled back. The Polis team put on an all out attack in the second, but we managed to hold onto the lead entering the third period. A string of penalties against the Polis helped us get ahead and earn the win.

Back on the bus and heading back to Ankara for some slippery roads and more smoking (couldn't come up with another threat since the game was over). After leaving for Istanbul at 8:30am we arrived back in Ankara Sunday (today) at 6am. Again I couldn't sleep the entire trip back, but I am so happy that have my PSP and and Ipod.

Next game might be on Wednesday against 1st place Ankara, but again rumours are floating around that the game might be changed. Here are some pictures!

1 - Polis teams bus, 2- Our Bus, 3- Bathroom brake, right after president (short man with mustache) used the women's restroom, 4- Cars trying to go up the hill from the Bosphorus Bridge5- Crossing the Bosphorus Bridge, officially entering Europe! 6- Going through the Walls of Constantinople towards the rink





















No comments:

Post a Comment