Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ain't No Party Like A Canadian Embassy Party


Ankara, Turkey - On Thursday, Kate, Brittany and myself were invited to the Canadian Embassy by one of the coaches that we have become friends with here. He is friends with a girl who is friends with some people in the Canadian Embassy and apparently every second Thursday the Embassy has a social mixer and invites other foreign diplomats and embassy workers. So we got our names on the list and headed to the Embassy. After going through security and we headed into a room that was set up like a standard bar and was greeted by the head of embassy security who is a big hockey fan and used to coach a girls team here in Ankara. After speaking with him (he is from Ontario) we headed to the bar to see what we could get.

We were so happy to see that they had bottles of Moosehead Lager (from New Brunswick), Molson Ex, Canadian Whisky, and Wine from Ontario and British Columbia! So for the next 4 hours we drank and socialized with diplomats and embassy workers from France, USA, and of course Canada. When the Canadians discovered that there was a professional hockey player in the building, it was pretty easy to strike up conversations with anybody from Canada for myself

At first, I found it funny that being a professional hockey player here in Turkey that I only get recognition when I go to the Canadian Embassy, but then I realized that only Canadians truly appreciate hockey players.

I look forward to the next Canadian party!

No comments:

Post a Comment